[lbo-talk] US fascism Awareness Month

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 26 12:31:00 PDT 2007

"Mr. WD" wrote:

> On 10/26/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Cops have been torturing people forever in the USA. And there were
> > far greater violations of civil liberties in the past too - Lincoln
> > suspending habeas corpus, Wilson & Palmer banning magazines from the
> > mails, Palmer's raids. Let's not get carried away with the alleged
> > novelty of the Bush years.
>
> Well I think it would be just plain wrong to call Lincoln's suspension
> of Habeas Corpus "fascist," but the Palmer raids probably qualify.

I just think it is intellectually AND politically incoherent to identify a species with a genus. All rabbits are mammals but all mammals are not rabbits. And fascism (a phenomenon of the inter-war period) was a very peculiar development, and it fucks up everything to try to make it a template for all forms of oppression and tyranny.

Carrol