[lbo-talk] Christian Split in Lebanon Raises Specter of Civil War

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Oct 27 12:32:12 PDT 2007

I meant to post this article when it came out 2 weeks ago but it got buried in my inbox. But I haven't seen this story reported in any mainstream outlets since then, so it's still fresh.

(It also has great intelligence and irony in the writing. From his name, I would think this guy might be a stringer from the country. It would be great if he became their main Lebanon correspondent. But he's probably too good for the Times except when no one's looking.)

The lines that most struck me were the description of Aoun, who is usually not even mentioned in articles in the US about Lebanon. The struggle there is always as a the Hezbolloah vs. the Sunnis and Christians, rather than Shiite + Christian vs. Sunni + Christian -- with probably more Christians on Hezbollah's side -- which has been the real dividing line ever since the March 14 movement began. And when Aoun has been mentioned in passing, it's usually been preceded by blase ritual spitting, since he is allied with Hezbollah and is pro-Syrian, and hence obviously a wingnut, as opposed to the "modernizers" on the other side. But here you have a very different description of his place in the ideological universe of Lebanon:

<quote>

The struggle is over who gets to be the next president, a post reserved

for a Christian under Lebanons Constitution, and which must be filled

by the end of November. But the larger question one that is prompting

rival Christian factions to threaten war is whether Lebanese Christians

must accept their minority status and get along with the Muslim

majority (the choice of the popular Gen. Michel Aoun) or whether

Christians should insist on special privileges no matter what their

share of the population (the position of veteran civil war factions

like the Phalange and the Lebanese Forces).

<quote>

A very different description than you usually get of what used to be called the "Cedar Revolution" side of the conflict.

Michael

==========

The New York Times

October 6, 2007

Christian Split in Lebanon Raises Specter of Civil War

By THANASSIS CAMBANIS

BEIRUT, Lebanon, Oct. 5 With the Islamist group Hezbollah having

brought Lebanese politics to a standstill, the countrys once-dominant

Christian community feels under siege and has begun re-establishing

militias, training in the hills and stockpiling weapons.

Many Lebanese say another civil war like the 15-year one that started

in 1975 is imminent and that the most dangerous flash points are within

the divided Christian community.

Christian youth are signing up for militant factions in the greatest

numbers since the end of the civil war, spray painting nationalist

symbols on walls and tattooing them on their skin, and proclaiming

their willingness to fight in a new civil war in particular, against

fellow Christians.

When the war begins, Ill be the first one in it, said Fadil Abbas, 30,

flexing his biceps in Shadow Tattoo as an artist etched a cross onto

his shoulder. I want everyone to know I am a Christian and I am ready

to fight.

The struggle is over who gets to be the next president, a post reserved

for a Christian under Lebanons Constitution, and which must be filled

by the end of November. But the larger question one that is prompting

rival Christian factions to threaten war is whether Lebanese Christians

must accept their minority status and get along with the Muslim

majority (the choice of the popular Gen. Michel Aoun) or whether

Christians should insist on special privileges no matter what their

share of the population (the position of veteran civil war factions

like the Phalange and the Lebanese Forces).

The government dedicated an extraordinary cabinet session in September

to reports that Christian factions had opened militia training camps in

the mountains. The police have arrested two groups of Christians

allegedly linked to General Aouns party the most recent on Thursday and

accused them of illegal weapons training. One group said that they were

on a picnic and the other that they were playing. General Aoun said his

followers keep only personal weapons, like most Lebanese.

Mr. Abbas, the man in the tattoo parlor, used to work as a luxury hotel

receptionist. In the last six months, in anticipation of a coming

struggle, he has moved his family out of Beirut to the mountains, and

has joined the militant wing of the Lebanese Forces, a pro-government

party.

Government leaders say they worry that within days of a renewed

conflict, heavy weapons could flow to rival Christian factions from

Israel, France, Syria, or even the United States.

There are trainings. Thats a huge mistake, Saad Hariri, a Sunni Muslim

who leads the pro-Western governing coalition, said. Militarization has

not spiraled out of control, he said, but open, armed conflict could

set off an unstoppable chain reaction.

The bold talk and the throngs of youths converging on recruitment

offices throughout Beirut and in Christian towns in the mountains,

stand in marked contrast to Hezbollah and the Sunni parties, which have

urged restraint on their own militias.

In the Christian suburbs of Beirut, activists from the Phalange and the

Lebanese Forces have opened recruitment offices, organized marches to

protest the killings of Christian politicians, and are preparing for a

hotly contested campaign in university student council elections this

month, which are taken seriously as a proxy for popular support.

On the other side of the Christian divide, followers of General Aoun

and Suleiman Franjieh two Christian groups allied with Hezbollah and

considered pro-Syrian have stepped up their youth summer camp programs,

a combination of hiking and political indoctrination. They have joined

Hezbollahs marches and occupation of downtown Beirut, and, according to

the government, have engaged in militia training in Hezbollah camps.

Since the countrys last census in 1932, when Christians accounted for

about 55 percent of the population, their numbers have shrunk to an

estimated 30 percent. The president and the leader of the armed forces

must always be a Christian, but since the Christian community is so

bitterly divided, Shiite and Sunni Muslim leaders often end up choosing

the candidates for them.

The government has avoided a new census because of the repercussions:

power is delicately divided among Lebanons officially recognized 18

sects.

Traditional Christian leaders notably Patriarch Nasrallah Boutros

Sfeir, Lebanons chief Maronite cleric are trying to broker a

compromise. The patriarch has welcomed leaders to Bkirke, his compound

overlooking the sea north of Beirut. But his pronouncements about what

kind of leader should assume the presidency have been all but ignored.

Vociferous Christians who oppose the government, like Antoine Franjieh

youth leader for the pro-Syrian opposition faction Marada say that only

an alliance with the dominant Shiite Muslims can protect the Christian

community. Mr. Franjieh, 26, (a distant relative of his partys top

leader) lives in the mountains of north Lebanon, in the Christian

stronghold of Zgharta. Like many Christian movements, his party builds

support around a bizarre iconography, reminiscent of early-20th-century

European fascism; his party has adopted the symbol for pi to express

constancy, and another group has chosen the Greek letter omega, for

resistance.

Recruiters like Mr. Franjieh spout tales of martyrdom at the hands of

other Christians from the civil war and slogans like Mr. Franjiehs

favorite, repeated without apparent irony: My country, right or wrong.

The Christians allied with Hezbollah have had to overcome their own

deeply entrenched prejudice against Muslims, Mr. Franjieh said: We were

always taught that we were superior to the Muslims. Now we must realize

they are our brothers, and we must help each other.

As he drives toward the party headquarters in Zgharta, he waves his

hands at the abandoned houses in a village on the ridge: On paper,

according to the census, a thousand Christians live here. But you will

find no one here. All of them have left.