[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 29 16:59:18 PDT 2007

Miles Jackson wrote:

> I have to say that I'm just flummoxed that this "kids are so stupid
> nowadays" argument is so popular when there is so little rigorous
> evidence to support the claim.

I think I located the key in my response to Dennis Perrin: It is the virus of radical indivualism that grounds capitalist ideology and isolates intellectuals in their own little bubbles where they can sit and sneer at everyone for not having exactly their own perspective on everything. This is a major subject that cultural studies ought to take up: how the worst kind of ideology poisons even those who "know better." Professors mouth this bullshit to each other without having the courage to say to the students they are sneering at.

Carrol