[lbo-talk] Google discrimination and radical politics

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Oct 29 17:16:20 PDT 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:11:16 -0600 Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> writes:
> I believe I alluded on this list a few weeks ago to a job interview I
>
> had for a promising position. I just found out that I didn't get
> this
> web developer job, so I'm concluding that the employer rejected me
> after
> searching for my name on Google.

Sort of like deja vu, all over again. I seem to recall that we discussed this issue back in February, and at that time, I suggested that you might have lost out on a job opportunity back then because a prospective employer might have Googled you and they took exception to what they had seen. (Of course they might have read the Wikipedia article on you too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Munson)

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20070212/00326 0.html

The fact is, it is pretty much standard practice now a days for employers to Google job candidates as part of the hiring process. http://secretsofthejobhunt.blogspot.com/2007/10/latest-stats-on-googling- candidates.html

That obviously puts those of us who have been posting on the Internet for years under our own names on controversial topics at a possible disadvantage in the job search. There is no simple solution to this. I am sure you have heard this advice before, but your best chance for getting a new job is to network , network, network. You undoubtedly know people. or know people who know people, that might be looking to hire a good web developer. I am sure that given your associations with the Alternative Media Project and Infoshop and all that, you must have lots of contacts; more than most people. You have to start leveraging them.