[lbo-talk] CBN's Halloween page

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 29 18:24:05 PDT 2007

[No doubt Carrol Cox will dismiss me as an isolated sneering intellectual for being shocked and awed by this...]

<http://www.cbn.com/special/halloween/>

[From the Editor: The views expressed on this page are the opinions of the various authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Christian Broadcasting Network. Leading Christian thinkers have disparate views on Halloween and how Christians should respond to it. We have offered several different viewpoints so that you, the reader, can prayerfully decide what is the correct response for your family.]

Suffer Not the Trick-or-Treaters By Lori D'Augostine CBN.com Associate Producer

You have a unique opportunity to invest in the Kingdom of God without even leaving your home. Suffer not these little children and consider how you can protect them from the hauntings of the Enemy.

Should Christians Celebrate Halloween? By Pastor Eric Watt Guest Writer

Some Christians avoid Halloween, staying locked behind their doors with the lights turned off. Others create alternatives for believers, where little ones dress up as people from the Bible or other innocent characters. What is the right thing for you and your family?

The Enemy's Victory: Darkened Homes & Harvest Parties By Andy Freeman Guest Writer

He's got the church right where he wants it: inside the four walls, hunkered down behind the stained glass.

DOWNLOAD NOW! Hallowed or Harmful? What is the Christian perspective on Halloween? Find the answers in this free booklet.

FEATURE STORIES Do Vampires and Ghosts Really Exist? Becoming involved in these beliefs is really all about power and searching for it from a source other than God.

Jeff Harshbarger: The Devil Inside Jeff Harshbarger was only in the third grade when his parents bought an ouija board. It seemed like a lot of fun until he found out that it was no game.

The Moral in My Meatloaf Rooted in Druidism and pagan worship, it is not a redeemable tradition, so I will not attempt to make this “holiday” a Christian celebration.

Introduction to the Occult "This is a game where you're attacking your living, breathing opponent by using devils to conjure demons and cast spells."

Ousting the Poltergeist Debbie Bowen just moved in to a beautiful, new home with her daughter, Cassie, when she began to notice a disturbing presence inside of her home.

Addicted to Horror Teresa Sutherland's innocent fascination with horror movies and scary novels led to a driving compulsion that had her enslaved to the very fears that haunted her.

God Where Are You? Lindsay felt totally incapacitated, so she decided to study the occult to gain the power she longed for.

Never Too Far from God's Love Kimberly Shumate delved deeper into witchcraft after her mother's death, turning to crystal balls and tarot cards for enlightenment.

What is All Saints' Day? All Saints' Day, or All hallows or Hallowmas, is a festival celebrated on November 1st that honors God and all of His saints -- known and unknown.

Reformation Day Redeeming October 31 Why not have a celebration at church where all get dressed up as characters from the Reformation?

For Some, Halloween is Holiest Night of the Year Is Halloween more than a goofy night for candy and costumes? Those fundamentalist Christians who bemoan it as a pagan holiday know what they're talking about.

Halloween: A Holiday in Need of Renovation How will the decisions we make now effect those who come after us? These are questions well worth pondering on Halloween, or any other night...

John Fischer: Home for Halloween What we do with Halloween is a kind of microcosm for our positioning in the world as Christians.

Reaching Out Vs. Steering Clear of the Lost at Halloween E-mail responses to the challenge of outreach on Halloween

Vampire -- Not Just A Game A self-proclaimed vampire seduced young girls into deviant sexual acts...

The Witch Who Found Christ "When the going got rough, I could always rely on suicide because that was a way of escaping."

Can You Use Harry Potter to Share the Gospel? What if you could use Halloween and Harry Potter to advance God's kingdom?

Janelle Wade: Dabbling with Deadly Power Janelle grew up feeling unloved and extremely powerless. But her search for power and control ended when she entered the dark side of the occult.

Tarot Card Reader Discovers A New Life "The things that we were interested in were the dark side comic books, horror movies and spook houses. Instead of asking God (about my future), I had my chart done."

Joel Zovar: Ex-Vampire Prominent in their string of monstrous acts is all consuming hate; hate for anyone or anything that stood for morality; hate for Christians; hate for The 700 Club; hate for Pat Robertson.

COMMENTARY & Other articles

Avenging Monsters: The Origins of Horror Fiction, by Charles Colson Repackaging of Old Paganism in America "Hiding on Halloween" -- The Church Responds, by Andy Freeman Halloween or Harvest? An Issue Proving to be a Dilemma A Hallowed Night Trick or Treat? Halloween Outreach Light Up the Night Do You Believe in Ghosts? Confessions of a Teenage Witch Alcohol, Tarot Cards, and Jesus bible teachings The Occult Introduction to the Occult The Good News Freedom from Demon Bondage Understanding Cults Overcoming Fear Resisting Fear Finding Freedom How Do I Get Free From Fear? Prayer Power: Cover Our Kids With His Promise! How Do I Recognize a Cult? ALTERNATIVE ACTIVITIES House of Light Project 2002 Things to Do with Your Kids: Creative Ideas for Family Fun (book) Prayers with Candy (Nappaland) books The Parable Series: The Pumpkin Patch Parable This charming story for children illustrates how a loving farmer can turn a simple pumpkin into a simply glorious sight.

Halloween: What's a Christian to Do? Here are practical, Biblical suggestions for creating fun alternatives to Halloween.

Facts on Halloween This guide encourages parents, churches, and all Christians to evaluate Halloween's history and impact while providing a foundation to help readers determine their approach to the holiday.

Mommy, Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween Teach your children about the potential harm behind this seemingly innocent holiday. Written in story form, this book explains the pagan practices associated with Halloween.

Hour of the Witch: Harry Potter, Wicca Witchcraft and the Bible (DVD) Does being immersed in images of witchcraft have a lasting impact on an impressionable mind? Beyond this, real Wicca Witchcraft is growing rapidly among teens. Is Harry Potter fueling Wiccan growth?

Hour of the Witch (Book)

The Un-Halloween Book A complete fall festival for children's ministry.

Halloween, is it for Real? Halloween is an odd mixture of creepy creatures, costume parties, and harvest festivals. It is also a confusing time for those hesitant to celebrate a holiday that traces its roots to pagan practices and beliefs. Coming to the rescue is this little book written by Harold Myra, President of Christianity Today.

The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc. © 2007