[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 30 01:14:10 PDT 2007

On the one hand:

Kids! I don't know what's wrong with these kids today! Kids! Who can understand anything they say? Kids! They a disobedient, disrespectful oafs! Noisy, crazy, dirty, lazy, loafers! While we're on the subject: Kids! You can talk and talk till your face is blue! Kids! But they still just do what they want to do! Why can't they be like we were, Perfect in every way? What's the matter with kids today? Kids! I've tried to raise him the best I could Kids! Kids! Laughing, singing, dancing, grinning, morons! And while we're on the subject! Kids! They are just impossible to control! Kids! With their awful clothes and their rock an' roll! Why can't they dance like we did What's wrong with Sammy Caine? What's the matter with kids today!

On the other:

Governors from 13 states are now weighing in on the issue of whether Congress needs to raise the cap on H-1B visas to help the economy. The H-1B program has its critics, including U.S.-born programmers who say the visas serve mainly to drive down salaries of American tech workers. But American-born workers do not seem to be rushing to gain the skills technology companies want, contends Eilene Zimmerman, Fortune Small Business contributor, http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/25/smbusiness/h1b_cap.fsb/index.htm?postversion. Only about 13 percent of graduate degrees awarded in the U.S. are science degrees, according to the most recent numbers from the National Center for Education Statistics. And foreign nationals make up about 60 percent of the Ph.D.s in computer science and engineering coming out of U.S. colleges, according to an analysis of education statistics by the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Foreign born engineers and computer scientists have been critical to growth and innovation in the U.S. , according to a study by The Kaufman Foundation, Duke University , New York University and Harvard. The study estimates that immigrants founded one in four of the engineering and technology companies created between 1995 and 2005. By 2006, these companies were employing 450,000 workers and generating $52 billion in revenue, according to the researchers. ***************

Mike B)

"It was a woman who drove me to drink...and I never had the decency to write and thank her." - W. C. Fields http://iamawobbly.multiply.com/

National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. Download your gamecard now at Yahoo!7 TV. http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/national-bingo-night/