[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 30 07:43:18 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2007, at 7:59 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>

>> I think I located the key in my response to Dennis Perrin: It is the
>> virus of radical indivualism that grounds capitalist ideology and
>> isolates intellectuals in their own little bubbles where they can sit
>> and sneer at everyone for not having exactly their own perspective on
>> everything.
>>

> Besides, I don't get why the intellectual pathologies of capitalism
> should affect only critical intellectuals - why not scores of
> millions of kids too?
>
> Doug

Capitalism in our society could not function without literate adults. --Effective formal education and capitalist social relations are mutually reinforcing: formal education provides individuals with various "job competencies" to generate profits for capitalist organizations, and capitalist organizations directly and indirectly support the formal education system (taxes, donations, lobbying). Granted, I suspect that most LOBsters aspire to a formal education system that is something more than boot camp for the capitalists' army, but my point stands: one of the "individual pathologies" of capitalism is the diffusion of formal education and scientific modes of thinking throughout the general population.

Miles