[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 30 08:00:28 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> You know, it's not the kids' fault. If there are things about the
> direction of capitalist societies we don't like - more competition,
> more materialism, more atomization - won't that be reflected in the
> development of children?
>
> Doug

Yes, certainly. That's one of the reasons why more and more people are receiving formal education and being indoctrinated into "scientific modes of thought". The trend is clear: more and more jobs require formal education credentials. To effectively compete in the job market, people are compelled to get more formal education and develop their "academic" skills, whether they want to or not. I will agree that these are the conditions for creating competitive, materialistic people. However, one of the consequences of these capitalist social relations is the diffusion of formal education throughout the population. --This reminds me of old whisker's argument in the Manifesto about the positive effects of the capitalist world market: the need for a constantly expanding market changes people's lives in profound ways and creates new social relations, new possibilities. Just so with formal education.

Miles