[lbo-talk] Americans pissed, sez Greenberg

Carl Remick carlremick at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:09:39 PDT 2007

> <http://www.democracycorps.com/reports/analyses/
> Democracy_Corps_October_30_2007_Memo.pdf>
>
> RE: FINDING THEIR VOICE AS THE AGENTS OF CHANGE
>
> The state of the country and the Democrats on[e] year before 2008
> election
>
> If Americans have ever been angrier with the state of the country, we
> have not witnessed
> it; certainly not in 1992 when discontented voters brought the
> Republican Party down to an
> historic low, giving one in five of their votes to an unstable 3rd
> party candidate and putting Bill
> Clinton in the White House. The scale of today's discontent is
> evident in the 70 percent who
> now say the country is off on the wrong track and in George Bush's
> job approval and personal
> ratings, now at their lowest levels ever.

I'm surprised no one nailed me on this, but when I quoted columnist David Brooks in an earlier post today -- concerning Americans' high level of satisfaction with their personal lives and prospects -- I took his remarks completely out of context. Since I consider Brooks perhaps the greatest flaming asshole in journalism today, I feel no guilt about misusing his prose. However, I am confounded by his point -- i.e., polls show that Americans think their private lives are just ducky, but they also think the wheels are coming off the nation as a whole.

If that isn't proof positive that Americans are dumber than shit, I don't know what would qualify. I mean, how do you make sense of Americans' typical POV: "Yes, the ship of state is sinking fast, but my own cabin is warm and comfy. So put me down as being personally clam-happy."

Carl