[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 30 13:23:13 PDT 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 4:09 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> In my book, standardized testing is an educational version of
> fascism and a
> crime against humanity.

The article that started all this was based around the testimony of a veteran HS teacher in Oakland - pretty far from Carrol's fantasy of elite academics, by the way. One of his complaints was that so much time is spent on testing and preparing for testing that not much teaching can go on. That point got lost in all the defenses of the noble, thoughtful masses. That has only gotten worse under the No Child Left Behind routine. Testing was fairly big when I was young - I remember the yearly drama of the Iowa Test from elementary school - but it's only gotten bigger.

Doug