[lbo-talk] Americans pissed, sez Greenberg

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Oct 30 18:55:54 PDT 2007

>If that isn't proof positive that Americans are dumber than shit, I
>don't know what would qualify. I mean, how do you make sense of
>Americans' typical POV: "Yes, the ship of state is sinking fast, but
>my own cabin is warm and comfy. So put me down as being personally
>clam-happy."
>
>Carl

Charmingly put, as usual. Except I don't think America's unwarranted sunny disposition has much to do with lack of intelligence, it has more to do with the expectation that one is supposed to at all times put on a smiling face. Not just to please the customers & boss but also because discontent, pessimism, dissatisfaction, are--must be!--rooted in personal failings and to admit these feelings would be to reveal a terrible mismatch with the world. We're all happy just like we're all middle class.

Jenny Brown </HTML>