[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Oct 30 20:30:40 PDT 2007

On 30 Oct, 2007, at 19:26 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2007 18:40:48 J. Tyler wrote:
>> Charles Brown wrote (regarding rising IQ scores):
>>> CB: With respect to IQ tests, couldn't it also be that the problem
>>> types, even specific questions, have gradually seeped into the
>>> common
>>> sense grapevine of the masses.
>
> Like those germs that have developed an immunity to antibiotics! I
> love
> it. The masses develop an immnunity to the anti-mass drug of
> choice. Time to find another one!

A long, long time ago, when I was interviewing for jobs, I would tell the interviewer right at the outset that: (a) Manhole covers are round because that way they don't fall in, (b) I don't know that because I am so smart I figured it out: I might have, but enough people have asked that question enough times that everyone knows it now, so the world needs a new trick question. Some interviewers found that funny, others were not amused... or perhaps the Microsoft guy wasn't amused because I got into an argument with him about 32 bit pointers... don't know, but glad I didn't end up working for them ;-).

Some thoughts:

* IQ measure the ability to answer particular types of questions under certain constraints.

* While Gould's Mismeasure of Man is a good history and a decent refutation of some of the silliness of this business, it has been criticised (with justification) -- Google it, or if you want me to, I will. Fortunately, many other critiques of IQ/testing are available.

* Doug mentioned that the current crop of Harvard students do not seem much of an intellectual elite. Which reminded me of a bit by Bill Maher defending the French: "In France, they have public intellectuals. We? We got Dr.Phil!". I think that sums that up: we don't have intellectuals -- we have a lot of Doctors, experts in this or that activity or finely divided area of activity, excelling at which probably correlates well with IQ scores! ;-) That said, I will take the current crop of students any day, over their critics pontificating about Kucinich, protestors, etc!

--ravi