[lbo-talk] Americans pissed, sez Greenberg

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 12:34:38 PDT 2007

On 10/31/07, berber carpet bomb <berber.carpet.bomb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to agree with this. I've spent more than my share of time
> living among the two job, second one at Walmart, strata of people in
> this country. I can't think of people who are angry or afraid.

I think to get a qualitative handle on it you would have to spend some time abroad, or at least in Europe. There seems to be a difference in how willing people are to do things like walk alone at night in a city, or in one case, leave a baby carriage out in front of a shop, avec baby. This despite the risks of crime for most people most places being pretty similar. Much of my own experience was from E. Europe in the early nineties when there was a great deal of general insecurity and fear of rising crime rates, yet the level of tension in this regard took some getting used to. Unwinding to the ambient level, that is.

Aren't there any comparative studies in risk perception?

Do I really have to outline the different attitudes towards retributive violence? That looks an awful lot like explosive, frear-driven anger. Those "shoot trespassers" rules might have many USers rolling their eyes at those crazy Texans, but when it comes up in conversation with outlanders they're usually incredulous.

-- Andy