[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 31 14:27:46 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 30 October 2007 16:09:08 Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> In my book, standardized testing is an educational version of fascism and a
> crime against humanity.
*********** As you pointed out, Wojtek, a person who is able to score highly on an IQ test may not be able to function well in terms of critical thinking in varying situations i.e. the person may only be showing that s/he can take standardized tests well; but be unable to make wise decisions OUTSIDE THAT BOX and a person who can function well outside the standardized test taking box, MAY score poorly on IQ tests.

What fascinates me is the question of the "box". As someone said in some manifesto a long time ago, the dominant ideas of any era tend to be the ideas of its ruling class. Loyalty to the interests of one's ruling class is inculcated through the culture one lives within, even though those interests are very often, most often (I'm being generous to the RCs here) not in tune with one's own interests, class or otherwise. The ability to think critically, outside the box of the dominant ideology, is to me the essence of wisdom; but this is not being taught in schools for various reasons, except in areas where the new crop of wage-slaves need to be taught their compartmentalized disciplines e.g. engineering. To paraphrase an old piece of prolo wisdom: the educators themselves must be educated. I think Adorno was trying in his own complex way to get at this problem of critical thinking outside the ideogical box in his NEGATIVE DIALECTICS. And of course, there's always the retarding effect of reification on the mind. Thanks go out to Comrade Lukacs!

Here's a Machiavellian comment from a former political leader which epitomizes the utter contempt most, if not all political leaders have for the ability of even those with the highest IQs to be able to think critically when it comes to questions of life, death and the dominant ideology of capitalist nationalism:

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. "

Hermann Goering

quote verified at snopes.com

******** Mike B)

"It was a woman who drove me to drink...and I never had the decency to write and thank her." - W. C. Fields http://iamawobbly.multiply.com/