[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Oct 31 11:21:57 PDT 2007

Miles writes:

> I have to say that I'm just flummoxed that this "kids are so
> stupid nowadays" argument is so popular when there is so little
> rigorous evidence to support the claim.

I think that part of it is: 50 years ago, the kids who were seniors in high school didn't include the kids who dropped out at 12 to work in coal mines. So it's quite possible that both camps are right: the "average" is zooming higher, due to higher participation; and what's in the classroom is "trending down" ... because there is more participation at the low end.

Also for the origional writer's friend: as Joanna will concur with me on this, Oakland just ain't what it used to be.

/jordan