[lbo-talk] Radar article on "Security" Profiteers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 1 08:09:56 PDT 2007

"3.3.3." wrote:

> I'm not a huge fan of NY Media Snark anymore, or Radar actually, but why are
> they the only people doing really clear and easy to understand articles like
> this? They also did the Neocons-that-were-wrong-but-still-make-money
> -thing-earlier...

> Half of the "war-critical" people I know ( I wouldnt call them liberals)
> just know about Halliburton/KBR, and maybe recently Blackwater. Hell, I
> didnt even know about Paladin or ManTech before this.

So? Why do they need to know more? Why do they even need to know about Halliburton?

But what do you mean by "war-critical people?" What we need in any case is people committed to continuous building of and/or participation in a militant mass movement against the war. That does not require any particular knowledge even of Halliburton, much less any detailed knowledge of all the malefactors involved.

The invasion of Iraq is a war crime. It would not be any less a war crime if Halliburton were sacrificing profits rather than making profits from it.

In the long run, and perhaps in the short run, it is a mistake for the anti-war movement to focus so much either on Bush & Co. malfeasance _or_ on u.s. casualties (as in Support the Troops -- Bring them Home). There will be more criminal wars after Iraq, as there have been many criminal wars over the last 62 years, and the anti-war movement must build for opposition to that Endless War, not merely opportunistically exploit bush-league criminals like Halliburton or whoever else you are talking about in this post.

Carrol