[lbo-talk] Radar article on "Security" Profiteers

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 09:41:38 PDT 2007

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
>"3.3.3." wrote:
>
> > Half of the "war-critical" people I know ( I wouldnt call them liberals)
> > just know about Halliburton/KBR, and maybe recently Blackwater. Hell, I
> > didnt even know about Paladin or ManTech before this.
>
>So? Why do they need to know more?

I certainly welcome occasional details on the inner workings of the war machine, since they are so often revealing of the nightmarish power of today's weaponry. I was stunned to see this item in the Radar article: "WAYNE DOWNING -- After leaving his post as Deputy National Security Advisor in 2002, Downing served his second stint on the board of Metal Storm, a small Aussie outfit that's invented an electronic supergun capable of firing one million rounds per minute (seriously). It's particularly good at vaporizing things—vehicles or people, for instance."

Checking further on this, I find that this one-million-rounds-per-minute is a "theoretical" rate of fire, and there are certain technical limitations that still pose problems for implementing this weaponry. I would imagine reloading, for instance, would be a doozy of a challenge. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Storm>

But that's the military-industrial complex, for you, bless their hearts! Always dreaming the impossible dream -- engaged in the never-ending pursuit of the ultimate in ways to vaporize, shred and incinerate people.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Test your celebrity IQ.  Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes! http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2