[lbo-talk] working class authenticity

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Sat Sep 1 19:37:59 PDT 2007

On Sep 1, 2007, at 6:06 PM, W. Kiernan wrote:

> Yeah sure, it is funny! But nouveau riche is _totally_ a working class
> thing.

I coasted to a stop this afternoon looking for some shade on the patio of a hot dog joint over looking a public boat launch and marina.

I was at 48 oz and talkative, and the folks at the only table in the shade were responsive. Dad, and mother in law and 22 year old who claimed to have been doing 'farm work' for the last couple of years, and was leaving for iraq within the next month.

When I mentioned, conversationally, that when I was a kid you could get out of a jail sentence by enlisting, their table seemed disconcerted. The 22 yr old seemed to nod, and my reading was that the practice is not expired.

Just wondered if anyone knew if that was happening.