[lbo-talk] Mirror neurons

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 2 13:06:04 PDT 2007

Miles Jackson wrote:
> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> On Sep 1, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Chris Doss wrote:
>>

>>> Cats and dogs, not just hoidy-toidy
>>> gorillas, appear to have empathy.
>>>
>> I have something like 45 cat-years of experience (having lived with 2
>> for 20 years, and 1 for 5), and I've never seen a trace of empathy in
>> them. They are consummate narcissists, which, as Freud theorized, is
>> part of their charm (like children and criminals).
>>
>> Doug
>>

> Yeah, same experience living about 35 human-years with cats. One day
> in my kitchen I dropped a large pickle jar on my big toe. I howled in
> agony. The cat looked up from her food bowl because of the noise and
> then nonchalantly went back to her food.
>
> Miles

You're anthropomorphizing. Because the cat doesn't behave as a human might you take that as evidence of lack of empathy? If diners at a restaurant see a member of the wait staff fall, don't offer to help, and don't feel bad but continue eating is that evidence humans can't experience empathy?

John Thornton