[lbo-talk] on the decline of books in papers

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:35:52 PDT 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Steve Wasserman, ex-editor of the LAT Book Review, reflects on the
>decline of books coverage in U.S. newspapers:
>
><http://www.cjr.org/cover_story/goodbye_to_all_that_1.php?page=all>

Re this quote: "In the fall of 2000, Charles McGrath, then editor of The New York Times Book Review, the nation’s preeminent newspaper book section by virtue of longevity, geography, ambition, circulation, and staff, was already lamenting the steady shrinkage of book coverage. .... Today, The New York Times Book Review averages thirty-two to thirty-six tabloid pages, a steep decline from the forty-four pages it averaged in 1985."

I'd say the NYTBR is still thirty-two to thirty-six tabloid pages too long. The NYTBR is easily the most overtly right-wing section of the NYT overall. It's like getting a propaganda stink bomb in the face every weekend.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get the device you want, with the Hotmail® you love. http://www.windowsmobile.com/hotmailmobile?ocid=MobileHMTagline_1