[lbo-talk] Mirror neurons

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Sep 5 08:58:23 PDT 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> It suggests - in the light of the
> fact that the parts of brain associated with empathy are evolutionary
> 'early' vis a vis those responsible for 'higher' cognitive functions - that
> humans are probably less empathic than animals. That is to say, they are
> more able than other animals to "bracket out" empathic feelings and behavior
> motivated by them in favor of more 'rational' and 'detached' ones.
But we don't know exactly what parts of the brain are responsible for the experience of empathy! Claiming that "mirror neurons" are the source of the psychological experience of empathy is crude reductionism that almost all neurophysiological researchers reject. A complex psychological state is not produced by a specific set of neurons firing. Example: recall of personal memories. Early researchers assumed there was a "memory cortex" where all episodic memories were stored, and specific memories would be elicit when specific neurons were activated. Alas, things are much more complex and interesting: recall of a specific memory can involve neural activation in completely different parts of the brain. There is no specific set of neurons "responsible" for expressing a memory. In the same way, researchers have not discovered any specific area of the brain "responsible" for the psychological experience of empathy. In the same person at different times, the experience of empathy involves neural activation in different parts of the brain. Thus it's questionable to claim that the parts of the brain associated with empathy are evolutionarily "early".

> I am not trying to moralize here, but I think that Miles, and for that
> matter the scores of other species-centric folk who believe that humans are
> 'special', 'morally superior,' have a 'soul' and the kindred mumbo-jumbo -
> got it all backward.

I think I'm getting some of the moral outrage about my posts now. Let me be explicit: I don't think humans are intrinsically superior to any other species, and I don't think that humans should be the measure of all things. Ironically, it is your argument above, Woj, that reflects species-centrism: "humans consider empathy a positive trait, so anyone who questions empathy in a species is questioning the species' worth or importance". However, this is only true if you use your human values to judge the worth of other forms of life! I do not think life is any more or less valuable if it resembles human life. This has come up before on the list: there is nothing intrinsically better about life that resembles humans (e.g., bonobos) than life that doesn't resemble humans (e.g., corn). Perversely, it is the people who say that species deserve respect because they have human-like characteristics who display the rankest form of species-centrism.

In my view, there is an amazing diversity of life on the planet; I don't need to validate it by arguing how similar it is to human experience. Why is it necessary to make humans the measure of all things?

Miles