[lbo-talk] Mirror neurons (Warning: contains seriously technical philosophy of language and mind)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 14:08:56 PDT 2007

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Chris asks:
>

> That's Davidson, not Hume.

I know. I'm a philosopher by training too, you know.
:) My knowledge of Anglo-American philosophy however
doesn't go much beyond Two Dogmas of Empiricism, which is to say, it barely exists.

Thanks for the post. I had forgotten all that Quinean rabbit stuff. Man am I glad I studied Heidegger instead!

Really, all the stuff about how "there are no mental states" reminds me of why I turned off to analytical philosophy in the first place. Despite all the talk about how Continental philosophy is woolly-headed, it's things like that really make my eyes roll.

So -- before acquiring language, KoKo the Gorilla (or Helen Keller) was incapable of thinking. Then they discover a means of communication and lo and behold thinking is born. Give me Heidegger and the pre-theoretical understanding of the world any day. ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/