[lbo-talk] Mirror neurons

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 5 21:24:00 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2007, at 9:35 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > A certain amount of vulgar intelligence is useful in reacting to the
> > world. Your observations here have exactly the same content as
> > Doug's on
> > the B-minor -- species-centric praise of human superiority: for those
> > things are only beautiful from a human perspective of beauty. In fact,
> > this is rather mawkish anthropomorphizing.
>
> So why'd you spend your life on Milton and Pound rather than sorghum
> or strip malls?

My objection is your and Joanna's implicit assumption (which I don't think you hold -- but your words surely carry it) that your judgments are valid from some perspective "outside" human perception and judgment -- that there is/would be something beautiful about the B-Minor or the arc of a dolphin even if humans did not exist. Both of you anthropomorphize the Cosmos itself.

Carrol