[lbo-talk] Mirror neurons

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 14:28:38 PDT 2007

Y'know, something that strikes me just doing a brief perusal of material on the web (I know, I know) on teaching sign language to higher primates is how obtuse some of the criticisms of it seem to be. "Aha! Perhaps the orangutang is expressing its desires by using ASL, but it doesn't use syntax consistently! And it has a vocabulary of only 200 words! It's nothing I say, it's nothing!"

HELLO? A fucking orangutang is talking to you, and you get caught up on its use of syntax? Jesus Christ. Yes I can see why this is relevant linguistically, but come on. Even if it's not "language" in the strict human sense, it's pretty amazing shit. Actually I suspect that the animals, lacking language areas of the brain, are using some other area of the brain somehow, much like humans, lacking any "understand higher mathematics" section of the brain, seem to tackle it by routing it through their linguistic ability. But I am unduly speculating.

It was pretty cool to find out that Washoe is still around -- I didn't know chimps lived that long -- and her caretakers have a blog: http://www.friendsofwashoe.org/blog/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=graduation+gifts&cs=bz