[lbo-talk] Mirror neurons

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Sep 6 16:12:17 PDT 2007

On 6 Sep, 2007, at 15:34 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> <animal rights>
> I would go as far as saying that the level of empathy and
> rationality in
> society is, for a large part, proportional to per capita GDP.

Don't know about that, but per capita GDP seems to track quite well the number of animals that are (almost invariably) inhumanely treated and killed. Of course in many parts of the "third world" animals have all but disappeared (apart from the ones that have a "symbiotic" relationship with humans) due to resource competition.

Animal liberation is a touchy subject around here ;-) so substitute "no of Iraqis killed" for "level of empathy and rationality" in your sentence above, if you wish, for an alternate view.

--ravi