[lbo-talk] Mirror neurons

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Sep 7 15:34:52 PDT 2007

On 7 Sep, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> [WS:] The above may be true of the US, but it is certainly not true
> of EU.
> I also think that you commit the fallacy of telescoping historical
> event
> into an ahistorical perspective - what was true of X at one point
> of time
> becomes true of X at all times. By that logic, we are all sick of the
> chicken pox.
>
> You miss my argument that there is a progress in the general level of
> empathy and rationality, as manifested by the fact that societies,
> especially those with high level of economic development, gradually
> adopted
> more empathic and rational attitudes. Instead, you counter with the
> statement about the Iraqis killed - or by implication, some other
> group
> being targeted at some point in history. However, your
> counterargument
> misses the point entirely, because it dos not speak to the change
> over time,
> which I am claiming. The Iraq war, repugnant as it is does not
> contradict a
> historical change of our attitudes toward war.

No, Woj, you missed my point: your tying rationality or empathy to GDP is a spurious one in service of your crusade against the "third world". You are pretty right, I believe, in your point regarding progress (the caveat is that the progress in attitude has been matched by technological progress and the ability to kill more even if at lesser frequency)... but then you had to throw in the bit about GDP!

--ravi