[lbo-talk] ObL criticizes Dems, praises Chomsky, notes subprime crisis, urges conversion to Islam to lower taxes

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 22:11:15 PDT 2007

>From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>
>
> > If the aim is to destroy the u.s. empire and drive the u.s. out of the
> > Middle East, u.s. troops have to be brought within reach of the forces
> > and weapons at the disposal of its adversaries. 9/11 accomplished that.
> > Probably the most successful terrorist action in history. Were the u.s.
> > to withdraw from Iraq now (though actually there is no danger of that),
> > its forces would again be out of reach of the allies of ObL. The man
> > seems sophisticated enough to think in such terms.
>
>Well, calling for all Americans to convert to Islam (his brand, I assume)
>isn't that sophisticated, though maybe I'm missing a joke here.

Yes, ObL is a very sophisticated and droll fellow who obviously delights in yanking Americans' chain. You'll note that he pitches Islam to Americans solely on the basis that they can *save money,* which he recognizes as Americans' true ultimate divinity. I mean, this is a pretty hilarious deadpan comment: "'To conclude,' bin Laden says, 'I invite you to embrace Islam.' He goes on to say: 'There are no taxes in Islam, but rather there is a limited Zakaat [alms] totaling 2.5 percent.'"

ObL is a genius at needling Americans at their most vulnerable points and doing so in a wry way, e.g.: "So in answer to the question about the causes of the Democrats' failure to stop the war, I say: They are the same reasons which led to the failure of former President Kennedy to stop the Vietnam War. Those with real power and influence are those with the most capital. And since the democratic system permits major corporations to back candidates, be they Presidential or Congressional, there shouldn't be any cause for astonishment – and there isn't any – in the Democrats' failure to stop the war. And you're the ones who have the saying which goes, 'Money talks.'"

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Discover sweet stuff waiting for you at the Messenger Cafe.  Claim your treat today! http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline2