[lbo-talk] Terror Lord's Lefty "Chum" Chomsky

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Sep 8 06:10:32 PDT 2007

[I wrote Noam, saying it must feel odd to be praised by ObL. His answer: "Feels more odd to be mentioned in the same breath with the ultra-hawk Michael Scheuer...."]

New York Post - September 8, 2007

TERROR LORD'S LEFTY 'CHUM' CHOMSKY By ANDY SOLTIS

Osama bin Laden took time in his videotape rant to play literary critic - plugging the writing of leftist MIT professor Noam Chomsky.

Chomsky is "one of the most capable of those from your own side," bin Laden said.

Chomsky is a bitter critic of U.S. foreign policy, which he equated with terrorism in his 2003 book "Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance."

A year ago, Chomsky's book got another boost when Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez waved a copy of it during the notorious speech at the United Nations in which he called President Bush "the devil."

"I think that the first people who should read this book are our brothers and sisters in the United States, because the threat is in their own house," Chavez said.

The book surged in sales as a result, vaulting from No. 160,722 on Amazon.com to No. 7.