[lbo-talk] A "Night to Honor Israel" in Mississippi

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 8 22:25:24 PDT 2007

Pro-Israel group wants limits on state investments

By Jean Gordon The Clarion-Ledger September 8, 2007

Rabbi Aryeh Scheinberg of the Congregation Rodfei Sholom in San Antonio offered the invocation at the start of Thursday's "A Night to Honor Israel" event in Jackson. Some 1,000 people attended.

The Mississippi chapter of Christians United for Israel says it is working with state lawmakers to pass legislation that would block investment of public funds in companies with ties to terrorism.

"They're helping us to ensure that state money in Mississippi is invested terror-free," said the Rev. Phillip Knight, co-director of Mississippi's Christians United for Israel chapter, which hosted the Thursday evening event, "A Night to Honor Israel."

Some 1,000 people turned out for the pro-Israel gathering at the Jackson Marriott to pledge their support for and donate money to the Jewish nation.

The crowd handed over $21,600 in donations for an Israeli orphanage that Christians United for Israel supports.

They also showed up to hear Christian Zionist leader the Rev. John Hagee deliver one of his impassioned speeches about how "radical Islam" wants to wipe out Israel.

"At this time of history when the president of Iran threatens Israel with a nuclear holocaust... it's imperative that 50 million evangelicals in America stand up and speak up for the state of Israel and the Jewish people," Hagee said to enthusiastic applause.

A TV evangelist and San Antonio megachurch pastor, Hagee is widely considered the face of the Christian Zionist movement in America, which raises millions of dollars for Israeli causes.

Christian Zionists believe the Bible mandates them to support Israel, based on their reading of verses in Genesis that say God will bless those who bless Israel and curse those who curse the nation.

For many, that means supporting Jewish settlements in Israel's occupied territories, opposing Middle East peace plans that call for Israel to give up any land to Palestinians and urging U.S. lawmakers to adopt pro-Israel foreign policies.

Since Christians United for Israel was founded less than two years ago, U.S. lawmakers have taken notice.

Group members met with more than 300 legislators at their July summit in Washington, D.C.

At the state level, Sen. Richard White, R-Terry, said he would support any measure that would investigate whether state money is being invested in terrorist organizations and other businesses his constituents oppose.

"We don't need to be investing with people who do pornography and organizations that are owned by terrorists," said White, who attended Thursday's event. "I don't know if we can pass any laws in 2008 that are going to make a big difference but we can certainly look at all we're doing."

Though divesting in companies with ties to terrorism - particularly those with Iranian interests - has become a popular action in many state legislatures, the Christian Zionist movement and Hagee's calls for a preemptive attack on Iran have drawn controversy.

"As someone who works with the interfaith community, I don't believe this is really Jesus' message of love," said Emad Al-Turk, co-founder of the International Museum of Muslim Cultures in Jackson. "That's not what he's advocating."

Still, Hagee enjoys a broad following. His Texas church claims 19,000 active members, and his TV programs are broadcast around the world.

Much of his speech Thursday focused on how the growing movement of Christians who support Israel is helping to undo 2,000 years of Christian anti-Semitism.

"It's a match made in heaven," Hagee said. "We believe God blesses the Gentiles who bless the Jews."

Yazoo City used car lot owner Roy Carpenter, who attended Thursday's event, said he's donated $15,000 to Hagee's ministry and Christians United For Israel over the past three years.

"I just believe in what he does," he said. "The first time I saw him on TV I fell in love with what he said."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070908/FEAT04/7090 80311/1023/FEAT05