[lbo-talk] Bono, thinking

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sun Sep 9 16:27:19 PDT 2007

This reminded me of some lines by Blake from America: A Prophecy (borrowed from Philip Pullman) I don't think it quite worked out... robert wood

The morning comes, the night decays, the watchmen leave their stations; The grave is burst, the spices shed, the linen wrapped up; The bones of death, the cov'ring clay, the sinews shrunk and dry'd Reviving shake, inspiring move, breathing, awakening, Spring like redeemed captives when their bonds and bars are burst. Let the slave grinding at them mill run out into the field, Let him look up into the heavens and laugh in the bright air; Let the inchained soul, shut up in darkness and in sighing, Whose face has never seen a smile in thirty weary years, Rise up and look out; his chains are loose, his dungeon doors are open; And let his wife and children return from the oppressor's scourge. They look behind at every step and believe it is a dream, Singing: "The Sun has left behind his blackness and has found a fresher morning, And the fair Moon rejoices in the clear and cloudless night; For Empire is no more, and now the Lion and Wolf shall cease."