[lbo-talk] What are you reading now?

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 16:38:19 PDT 2007

Palazzi of Rome - Cresti, Rendina, Listri -- a bigger than a coffee table book found at the library. Mostly this is just for looking at the pictures.

Life, Death and Entertainment in the Roman Empire -- Potter & Mattingly -- just a collection of essays... the details of the importation of food to Rome are especially interesting.

Violence and Republican Rome by Lintott

The wonderful John Nunn book Understanding Chess Move by Move.

The Season 8 comic books of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Just finished a biography of Ava Gardner and another of Barbara Stanwyck in tandem with Heidegger's "What is Called Thinking". When I got angry or frustrated with Heidegger I switched to reading about Ava Gardner and then Barbara Stanwyck. Both are more enjoyable than Heidegger.

I read poetry every morning, what ever is on hand.

I'm also going through a lot of books on classical Athenian law. Every summer I reread Rimbaud's "Season in Hell" and just finished that. I want to reread Anna Karenina soon and Raymond Chandler's "The Long Goodbye" and "Farewell My Lovely."

Jerry