[lbo-talk] Why Are So Many Americans in Prison?

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 9 20:09:57 PDT 2007

Jordan wrote:

>what makes you think that up to half of who is in there probably
>"shouldn't be" ...?

I don't know about half but it is true that large sectors of the prison population come from groups that weren't there in the past.

For example, many more women are put in prison in the U.S. now than ever before. One in three are there on drug charges (in federal prison it's 80%). This creates a cycle of imprisonment because most of the women in prison are, or were before they were imprisoned, primary caregivers for their children. The chances of a kid winding up in prison are greatly increased when he/she grows up with one or both parents in, or in and out of, jail.

We also incarcerate thousands of people with diagnosed mental conditions. The Los Angeles County jail system is called, by the sheriff's department itself, the largest defacto mental institution in the country.