[lbo-talk] Targeting Empire

james daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 10 05:34:59 PDT 2007

Yoshie wrote: What leftists should be agitating against is the ongoing US campaign for _regime change_ in Iran, _not_ a US war on Iran (which is not going to happen any time soon). Stop using opposition to a phantom war as an alibi and start opposing what Washington is already doing: _economic sanctions, covert action, and "democracy assistance."_

Doug replied on September 9: Take a look at the people I've had on my radio show to discuss Iran over the last year:

May 31, 2007: Saadia Toor and Kourosh Shemirani on how Western leftists should think about the abuse of women and same-sexers in Iran and other Muslim countries

April 12, 2007: Hamid Dabashi, professor in the Middle Eastern studies department at Columbia and author of Iran: A People Interrupted, on the history of that complex, consequential country

December 14, 2006: Hamid Dabashi on Iran

August 17, 2006: Val Moghadam on politics and gender relations in Iran

June 1, 2006 Ervand Abrahamian on Iran

And, sometime in the next couple of weeks, Ervand Abrahamian again.

Doug

>From a great distance, that programme looks mostly critical of Iran for
theocracy. There is no point in preaching to the converted. Nobody on this list supports theocracy -- look at the arch-theocrat Paisley! But as Yoshie says, Washington is already doing democracy assistance.

James Daly

.