[lbo-talk] The positive functions of mass imprisonment in the US

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 19:41:40 PDT 2007

Because of corruption, attempts to be "efficient" by cutting corners and providing poor quality services it is true that the growth of private prisons may be slowed down or even reversed for a time given there is an effective opposition. Originally private prisons and private contracting of prison labor virtually disappeared in the prison system because of some of the same problems that are re-appearing. Nevertheless both private contracting out of prison labor and privatisation of prisons is now firmly re-establshed not just in the US but globally. Firms such as Wackenhutt are globally based. The firms are now becoming large enough to mount effective lobbying campaigns. If they are slowed down in the US they will prey on countries where there are lower standards and a weaker opposition.

I don't seem to be able to find figures showing the yearly growth of inmates in private prisons or of the number of inmates working for private companies in prisons either in the US or globally.

The best I have found is this about the 2004 situation re inmates in private prisons for this site. The site has reports on other countries as well.

http://www.psiru.org/justice/ppri70.htm#US

UNITED STATES 3.3% increase in private prisoners in 2004

The number of prisoners in private facilities in the US increased 3.3% during 2004, according to a new report from the US Department of Justice. There were 98,901 at year end 2004 compared with 95,707 at year end 2003. Overall, the nation’s prison population grew 1.9% which was less than the average annual growth of 3.2% since year end 1995.

At the end of 2004, 34 states and the Federal system reported 98,901 prisoners in privately operated facilities. Private facilities held 5.6% of all state prisoners and 13.7% of Federal prisoners. The largest private prison populations were Texas with 16,668 and Oklahoma with 5,905 held in private prisons. Six states had at least 25% of their prison population housed in private prisons, led by New Mexico (42%), Alaska (31%), Montana (30%), Wyoming and Hawaii (both 28%) and Oklahoma (25%). Some 8.1% of State prisoners in the South and 6.4% in the West were in privately run facilities, compared to 2% in the Northeast and 1.4% in the Midwest.

Since 2000, the number of Federal prisoners in private facilities has increased 60% while the number held in State facilities has decreased 1.3%. As a percentage of all prisoners under State and Federal jurisdiction, the number held in private facilities has remained stable at 6.6% compared with 6.5% for the years 2000-2003.

http://www.sentencingproject.org/Admin/Documents/publications/inc_prisonprivatization.pdf