[lbo-talk] more Pager

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 11 07:17:36 PDT 2007

[In searching for Devah Pager's papers last night I discovered she has a new book out. I'm going to have her on the radio in the next few weeks to discuss it. Woj, be sure to listen!]

<http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/235408.ctl>

Pager, Devah Marked: Race, Crime, and Finding Work in an Era of Mass Incarceration. 256 p., 18 halftones, 5 line drawings. 6 x 9 2007

Cloth $25.00 ISBN: 978-0-226-64483-7 (ISBN-10: 0-226-64483-9) Fall 2007

Nearly every job application asks it: have you ever been convicted of a crime? For the hundreds of thousands of young men leaving American prisons each year—a number that has exploded in recent decades with the growth of the prison system—their answer to that question may determine whether they can find work and begin rebuilding their lives.

The product of an innovative field experiment, Marked gives us our first real glimpse into the tremendous difficulties facing ex- offenders in the job market. Devah Pager matched up pairs of young men, randomly assigned them criminal records, then sent them on hundreds of real job searches throughout the city of Milwaukee. Her applicants were attractive, articulate, and capable—yet ex-offenders received less than half the callbacks of the equally qualified applicants without criminal backgrounds. Young black men, meanwhile, paid a particularly high price for the widespread assumptions about black criminality that underlie our era of mass incarceration: black applicants with clean records fared no better in their job searches than white men just out of prison. Such shocking barriers to legitimate work, Pager contends, are an important reason that many ex- prisoners soon find themselves back in the realm of poverty, underground employment, and crime that led them to prison in the first place.

Drawing much-needed attention to a problem that will continue to grow in coming years, Marked will ignite important debates over incarceration, discrimination, and the failures of our criminal justice system.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Preface Acknowledgments Introduction

1 Mass Incarceration and the Problems of Prisoner Reentry 2 The Labor Market Consequences of Incarceration 3 Measuring the Labor Market Consequences of Incarceration 4 The Mark of a Criminal Record5 The Mark of Race 6 Two Strikes and You’re Out: The Intensification of Racial and Criminal Stigma 7 But What If…? Variations on the Experimental Design 8 Conclusion: Missing the Mark

Notes References Index

excerpt: <http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/644839.html>