[lbo-talk] Anita Roddick Prophet of Green Capitalism

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 12:07:41 PDT 2007

Wojtek wrote:

<snip>

Far from "exploiting the poor" which I presume is a lefty code word for handouts i.e. philanthropy or manna falling from the sky, Roddick tried to help them being more self-sufficient by providing market access for their products.

[...]

Here's an idea...

I'd like to see a show, a series of television shorts - or better yet, a YouTube 'channel' starring Wojtek.

What should it be called?

Sadly, the pitch perfect "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is taken. I think "The Sokolowski Maneuver" is a good, next best, working title.

Each week, or perhaps each day if viewer interest is strong, someone would say some 'lefty' sort of thing - for example, "the Body Shop was selling an idea of do-gooder capitalism without actually doing very much good" - and this would set Wojtek off like an old dog aroused from his rabbit chasing dreams to find there's an actual rabbit in front of him.

While the voice of our eastern hero slammed "lefty bromides", "da people", and other crowd favorites, the camera's eye would focus on random things: a cat resting on a pile of books with cat unconcern, a passing car, a passenger airliner contrailling across the sky, a young couple strolling hand in hand through a park, Wojtek's unpolished shoe.

Each segment should last for no more than five minutes.

After YouTube success the Independent Film Channel, or perhaps even HBO might option to buy.

.d.