[lbo-talk] Michael Lerner tattles: the state of the antiwar movement

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 20:04:44 PDT 2007

During the 1980s I was involved in a campaign at a cruise missile engine plant in Walled Lake, Michigan,m where there made the motors for cruise missiles. There was lawful non-disruptive picketing and leafleting as well as Quaker-Catholic Worker-SNCC-style direct action -- people blocked the plant entrance, trespassing. First they were arrested (immediately). The plant got an injunction, so the trespassers were in contempt. Then they were jailed for contempt. Of course we didn't expect to shut down the plant even for a day, and in the end the publicity involved in the arrests and the jail type was bad for the plant and good for us.

However, I'd estimate that Doug is about right about what would happen with an attempt to have stopped its operations for real. In fact, people doing that would risk being charged under the new anti-terrorism laws, not available then, that make it domestic terrorism to engage in otherwise illegal activity that poses a threat to persons or property with the intention of influencing government policy. Naturally if you brought out tens of thousands of people that would change the political equation, but I don't see anyone bringing out tens of thousands for lawful demos or nonviolent civil disobedience. Or did I miss something?