[lbo-talk] Paul Craig Roberts

bhandari at berkeley.edu bhandari at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 12 12:24:07 PDT 2007

Carl, did just skim the piece but was getting the idea that Roberts isn't a Marxist critc of capitalism (commodity production for profit with privately owned means production used by wage laborers [which by the way I would define to include all kinds of labor arrangments]) but really ticked off that US firms have exported so much productive capital abroad under the pressure of financiers. It seems that all the elements are there--melancholy over loss of national power, singling out of the cosmopolitan financial fraction of the capitalist class, anger about foreigners' stealing jobs. Who exactly is promoting Roberts among the Left? If Lou Dobbs ever mentions the name Karl Marx or if his name appears on the Vdare site, will our work be done? Or given your skepticism of Marx, are we supposed to understand that you are criticizing Old Whiskers by showing that Roberts now positively invokes him?

Rakesh