[lbo-talk] Lynne Stewart(Was Re: The South Can Teach the North . . . .)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 08:11:50 PDT 2007

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/12/07, andie nachgeborenen
> <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > However, despite Lynne Stewart's terrorism
> conviction
> > for representing her client, we NLG lawyers will
> > defend any of you optimistic idiots who attempt CD
> in
> > defiance of these laws.
>
> The US government essentially lost to Lynne Stewart
> and her legal
> defense team at the sentencing level: the judge
> sentenced her to 28
> months, "far less than the 30 years prosecutors
> wanted," and allowed
> her to remain free on bail pending appeals
> ("Attorney Gets 28 Months
> for Aiding Terrorists,"

<http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/16/terror.trial.ap/index.html>).

Lynne's relatively light sentence is a sort of victory, and the judge's respectful speech at the sentencing was wonderful, but her prosecution at all is a very scary thing and her conviction for, in effect, representing her client, cannot be represented as a victory. Quite the opposite. Lynne has also lost her law license as a result of her conviction. The whole Lynne Stewart matter has a serious chilling effect on the willingness of lawyers to take on risky clients and take what they judge to be necessary steps in representing them. And that has repercussions for the movement.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Check out the hottest 2008 models today at Yahoo! Autos. http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html