[lbo-talk] a nation of haves & have-nots? Americans equally divided...

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 13 16:58:51 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Sep 13, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Seth Ackerman wrote:
>

>>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>

>>>the number of Americans who see themselves among
>>>the "have-nots" of society has doubled over the past two decades,
>>>from 17% in 1988 to 34% today. In 1988, far more Americans said that,
>>>if they had to choose, they probably were among the "haves" (59%)
>>>than the "have-nots" (17%). Today, this gap is far narrower (45%
>>>"haves" vs. 34% "have-nots").
>>>

>>That's an extraordinary set of numbers.
>>

>How?

That's the kind of question to which I imagine reponses tend to be very stable over time. It's asking people to locate themselves in the class structure, it's not a question about cyclical factors like how are your household finances doing right now.

To see the self-identified have-have not gap collapse from 42 to 11 points since 1988, a period when nothing in public discourse was encouraging people to think like this, is pretty amazing I think.

I wish there were more data points, going back further in time...

Seth