[lbo-talk] a nation of haves & have-nots? Americans equally divided...

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 17:22:46 PDT 2007

I haven't met many people who claim to have an IQ below 130. If you thought Andie's reading list was silly and absurd, you should see how many people I've come across who claim extraordinary IQs.

I've wondered how many of these people have really taken Stanford-Binet, etc., in the appropriate clinical conditions, and, even moreso, why they took it. Apparetly this is a huge number of people! In my experience Stanford-Binet isn't administered unless the subject is having emotional, educational, or psychological adaptation type problems. It isn't like a game booth at the carnival that people go do for fun; usually it's called for and administered by authorities when the subject is showing some signs of psycho-social trouble, like trouble in school, qualifying for mental disability help, etc.

-B.

Miles Jackson wrote:

"You're too modest. Only 1 person in 1000 scores higher than 145 on the Stanford-Binet or the WAIS. How exceptional does a person need to be to qualify as a genius?"