[lbo-talk] The Shocking Truth About the Nation-State

Peter Hart Ward pward at peterhartward.com
Thu Sep 13 20:46:27 PDT 2007

I submit as evidence of the totalitarian bent of the left the fact many manifestly obvious truths cannot be uttered. One such truth is that the primary function of a nation-sate is as a unit in game of power-struggle. States have formed to better to conquer, for protection from conquest and as clients for exploitation--welfare of the citizens has at best only been incidental. As far as one can tell from the historical record this has been the case--at least--since the birth of western civilization. Liberal criticisms of ,e.g., the war on Iraq are without fail from the implicit assumption that American foreign policy is actuated by benign, even humanist motives (Cf. any volume of the Nation).* What evidence is there, in fact, that nation-states ever act in a benign manner; for that matter, what evidence is that ANY human institution serves a benign purpose?

I think the fact that, today, only (nominal) conservatives, such as the late Raul Hilberg, seem to be able to write decent history or do decent work in the political sciences is not as paradoxical as it seems. Unlike liberals, conservatives are not obliged to go to such great lengths in feigning distaste for imperialism, since they more or less openly support it . In fact, aside from anarchists/ libertarians, only conservatives appear able to grasp such elementary facts to any degree. However, this kind of conservative is on his and her way out. Imperialism (in the traditional technical sense of the word) is no longer defensible, which means either the thought police, in liberal costume, will regroup--or, we will all choose to take on a greater share of our God-given social responsibility than we have been willing to hitherto. I think that is important to realize that the kind of flagrant criminality represented by the Bush Administration is on its way out. It will in fact be the Military Humanism in the tradition of Bill Clinton that, if imperialism continues at all, will dominate the first part of this century.**

In think--in this connection--the resurgence in popularity of Niezsche among liberals is instructive. His philosophy appeals to those who are without real power and have little apearent prospect of gaining power but, who have a desperate and overwhelming unconscious desire for power. Perhaps this desire is an understandable consequence of the destruction of religious faith; but it is not an outlook from which to begin building a humane world.

*Cases that are just too flagrant to be rationalized away are treated as sort of aberrations (when in fact they are typical, if badly "spun"). Just about everything written about the current war falls into this category; one will never find an author admitting that in fact the administration have and are taking action precisely as one would expect.... I often have the feeling that liberal outrage, such as is frequently represented, e.g., by JosuahHolland on Alternet, is more to do with a particular fantasy being disturbed than actual horror at the terrible crimes that are being committed. The fact that in the main it has not been the (nominal) left but people directly affected by the war (as well as the usual marginan groups such as Christian fundamentalists, the same fundamentalists the left hates so much) who have actually taken action to try to stop it would seem to bear this conclusion out.--Personally, I have done nothing constructive;--absolutely nothing as people die--thus am included as part of the "nominal left", in this case.

**Find me an article on the genocidal atrocities we created in East Timor--What about the bombing of Serbia?--The Iraqi sanctions--Not in a liberal rag. Not even the Nation.

Peter Ward Astoria, New York