[lbo-talk] Thinking Big (was re: Michael Lerner tattles: the state of the antiwar movement)

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 21:33:35 PDT 2007

I dont know about you, Mr WD, but where I live most people get up in the morning, leave their houses and apartments, and go to work. Very few issues, not even the war, would tempt them to jeopardize the security of their job. Even the sizeable latino community that stands on street corners and waits for contractors to come along would think it risky if not effete to take time off to go to a sit-in.

We are dealing here with a kind of slave consciousness, running all the way up to the slaves who work in glass office towers -- a consciousness made up of fear and conformity and distracted by material goods and entertainment.

I know many people in that 26% who want the war in Iraq to end, and almost all of them want it to end because they don't want their way of life to change.

Very few of them see the system that produced the war as a system that oppresses them. That is the bleak fact that faces activism -- not some defeatist trait in the personality of the left.