[lbo-talk] What are you reading now?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 23:48:16 PDT 2007

What it is with I, Claudius, but obviously our tastes differ, so this won't persuade you; Graves' usual crystalline prose and profound knowledge of the sources (I'm a big fan of Graves as a poet, a novelist, and a critic), an ability to tell a story that moves -- unlike Gibbon -- and you get something that has made classical history to exciting to more people than just about anyone.

I don't see what's wrong with lechery, I'm in favor of it. The Romans were big on it, Catullus, Ovid, Petronius, and I, Claudius is in fact pretty discreet. More so than Gore Vidal's' great and highly libidinous American historical novels, Burr through Hollywood, which are sort of our version of Graves on Rome. You want real lechery, read Graves' poetry -- he is one of the great erotic poets.

No, it's not history from below. Yes, it focuses on the private lives and tragedies of a handful of Roman aristocrats. OK, you want to read a historical novel that takes the other approach, read Howard Fasts' Spartacus. Graves' other historical fiction, which you probably haven't read -- for example, Count Belisarius, Wife to Mr. Milton, Sgt. Lamb's America, have almost no sex, but only an American would complain that a work contained too much sex. Graves' history is Tacitus leavened with Suetonius, and maybe the masses would be better off reading the Annals, which I love, but the masses ain't gonna, and, Tacitus can't touch Graves as a popular storyteller. (Of substantially accurate stories.)