[lbo-talk] Thinking Big

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 14 16:01:16 PDT 2007

Yoshie writes responding to, "Chuck0's idea, mass civil disobedience at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant":

Identification of chokepoints helps us practice thinking strategically, so it helps us in our "mental fight" (to take William Blake's term).

If people are not ready for civil disobedience, why not demonstration at this location? No sizable demonstration has taken place near this plant, so, if nothing else, the media will have a reason to cover it just for its novelty, whereas the media can very well ignore demonstrations at usual locations such as Washington, D.C. unless they are really huge. *************************************************

Even a small educational-agitational demonstration at this location would be all to the good, especially if the participants invited the curious to coffee/websites for more information/some place, like Chuck's bookstore or some such location.

************************ Yoshie continues:

Carrol says that we do not have "cadres"* for mass civil disobedience yet, and that is probably true. Then, the question is, how can we turn ourselves into, and encourage others into becoming, such "cadres"? *********************

Through more agitation, education and organization of One Big Union both inside and outside of work time--an openly declared organization of *political* equals, if you like, which has as its strategic goal, the ending of the wages system. It's not glamorous or sado-masochistically sexy, like seizing the State with a small vanguard, but it sure enough would be more concretely powerful, the bigger it became. But classwide, non-sectarian organization can only happen, if you, as an individual, make it happen. Otherwise, we stay isolated and powerless--narrow individuals, at best gathered as "cadre" in small, competing politcal sects.

Mike B)

Between these two classes a struggle must go on until the workers of the world organize as a class, take possession of the means of production, abolish the wage system, and live in harmony with the Earth.

http://www.iww.org/culture/official/preamble.shtml

____________________________________________________________________________________ Sick of deleting your inbox? Yahoo!7 Mail has free unlimited storage. http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/unlimitedstorage.html