[lbo-talk] What are you reading now?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Sep 14 14:32:25 PDT 2007

I just finished Suite Francaise, a novel by Irene Nemirovsky.

At the beginning, we find this:

Irene Nemirovsky was born in Kiev in 1903 into a welathy banking

family and emmigrated to France during the Russian Revolution.

After attending the Sorbonne, she began to write and swiftly

achieved success with an early novel, <i>David Golder</i>, which

She died in 1942 at Auschwitz.

It's a wonderful set of vignettes about people whose circumstances are upset by the invasion of France by the Nazis in 1940. There's a bunch of correspondence at the end between her and her publisher, growing ever weary about the laws being passed against Jews and eventually a few messages from her distraught husband as he tries to find her after her arrest. Usually you don't find such a strong connection between the characters in a book and a personal (and tragic) story of the author. I've been reading a lot of early WWII stuff these days, and this fits in nicely. Apparently this book was "lost" for many years until someone translated it in 2006.

/jordan