[lbo-talk] rentier punishment of invesment.

bhandari at berkeley.edu bhandari at berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 15 09:02:50 PDT 2007

I have been really struck by Doug's pithy formulation of the rentier punishment of investment. I think that we need to explore the shareholder revolution. Even when profits are retained, they are often not used for accumulation but paring down debt, buying back stock, and merging and acquiring. That is, profits have often not been used for accumulation as if rentiers have punishing investment and at times forcing shut downs and sell offs of assets. Any reading suggestions other than of course Doug's Wall Street which I shall revisit. I remember Doug quoting Jensen on the problem of disgorging cash. Rakesh