[lbo-talk] What are you reading now?

Blackmail blackmail.is.my.life at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 15:38:42 PDT 2007

I'm reading Gary Schteyngart's Absurdistan right now. It's kinda good, if you can get past the main character's intense self-loathing, which manifests itself mainly in extensive descriptions of his mangled penis. Then there's the fictionalized author, which is more of a distraction than anything else. However, these things happen against the backdrop of Putin's Russia and the U.S. post 9/11. I wish there were longer passages to describe those things.

Having said all that, this is probably the 2nd most disappointing read that came highly recommended from New York Times Review of Books. [The most annoying was the infrequently entertaining Apex Hides the Hurt by Colson Whitehead.]

Has anyone read Insurgency and Counter-Insurgency in Iraq?

Cheers, J T.