[lbo-talk] Ron Paul

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 17:14:57 PDT 2007

This afternoon, a bunch of tenant organizers, most somewhere to the left of me, found ourselves sharing an historic countercultural church in the Lower East Side with the Ron Paul campaign.

Stepping outside for air, I overheard a conversation - I swear to God - about Illuminati drinking blood from skulls. I didn't wait around to hear the context.

Overall, it was the weirdest juxtaposition I've experienced in a church since some anti-globalization protesters shared St. Al's in DC with a regional assembly of the Knights of Malta, clad in full medieval regalia, in 2002.

But back to Paul: For whatever reason, a significant number of hipster types have latched onto him. After careful observation, I've concluded that they aren't doing it just to be ironic. Is this limited to NYC or something broader?