[lbo-talk] Happy 50th, 'Atlas Shrugged'!

Carl Remick carlremick at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 06:36:27 PDT 2007

On 9/16/07, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> >[C] On reflection, I thought this Randian Fantasy Island sounded a lot
> >like Taliesin West in Scottsdale, AZ, the winter home and
> >architectural "school" (read: sweatshop) of Frank Lloyd Wright, one of
> >the 20th century's greatest egomaniacs and bunko artists. ...
> >
> > "The architect hero Howard Roark of Ayn
> >Rand's Fountainhead is generally thought to be based on Wright,
> >although both Rand and Wright denied this."
> >
> [J] That's what I always heard.

I suppose I shouldn't admit this where Doug (staunch non-admirer of Ralph Waldo Emerson) is likely is likely to read it, but Wright always claimed to be heavily influenced by Emerson :(

In any event, certainly one of the most insightful allegories about the American character ever written is Herman Melville's "The Confidence-Man: His Masquerade," which chronicles a series of swindles that take place aboard the steamer "Fidèle" ("Faithful") as she cruises down the Mississippi. It includes an (unfair!) satiric portrait of Emerson and Thoreau. All the events in the novel occur on a single day -- April Fool's Day (what else?). The novel itself was published April 1, 1857 -- droll fellow, Melville.

Carl